Piano Buying Tips
Tip 1 : Equip your child (or yourself) with the best instrument you can afford.
Tip 2 : Buying a nice digital piano with weighted keys is an excellent starting point, but it will only last you for about 3-4 years, or until you or your child reaches an intermediate level. Same applies to a good upright piano.
Tip 3: One cannot improve past the ability of their keyboard or piano, so know that you have an investment on your hands and the more improvement you see with your child, the better instrument you will need in order for him/her to continue to flourish musically.
- 88, full sized keys
- Weighted keys >Note: Touch Sensitivity not the same!
- Hammer action
- Must have a pedal!
- Must have a proper bench >Incorrect seat height will cause technical issues
- Please do not purchase a new keyboard under the $500-600 price point. You will simply be buying a toy. Plan to spend around $1,000. The professional grade instruments start in the this range unless there is a fantastic sale going on.
- Brands that are reputable and mainstream include Casio, Yamaha, and Roland.
- Local music stores and/or Amazon are great resources
- You do not want a “stage piano” because this means it’s portable. For a piano you will want a console case/stand.
Best: Roland F-140R Digital Piano
Great: Yamaha YDP103R Arius
Great: Yamaha Arius YDP162B
*Always opt for the console stand over a portable stand
- A good quality upright piano will last about as long as a keyboard; 3-4 years.
- We recommend buying grand pianos of 5’5 ft or larger to get the best sound. If you don’t have space, stick with the nicest upright or keyboard you can afford.
- Ask about serial numbers. Look for the North America market serial numbers (Google)
- If buying used, you do not want a piano that has water damage regardless of what the salesperson says.
- If buying used, try to get a piano with the original soundboard, but make sure it has NO cracks in it.
- Go with a name you trust.
- Skip the “player unit” because it does change the action and sound.